On May 17, an ultra-nationalist Facebook page Geo Pepe published a screenshot of a post allegedly made by Radio Liberty, which claimed that the Estonian intelligence services warned Georgia about possible provocations from the Kremlin on May 17.
Geo Pepe: “Estonian intelligence: ‘Georgians dream of holding an LGBT pride, but the dark Russia prevents it.’ The Estonian intelligence keeps working on important issues for Estonia.”
The “Radio Liberty” screenshot posted by Geo Pepe is fake. There is no such information on the website or the Facebook page of the Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty. The photo for the faked screenshot was taken from an article, published by the Radio Liberty on May 15 that reviews stories about LGBT and queer people who emigrated from Georgia. Moreover, on the screenshot, published by Geo Pepe, the Facebook page of the “Radio Liberty” does not have a blue tick denoting an authorization from Facebook, unlike the real Facebook page.
1. Neither the website nor the Facebook page of the Radio Liberty has any information on the warning issued by the Estonian intelligence to Georgia concerning May 17.
A Facebook search resulted in only one article about the Estonian intelligence services on the Facebook page of the Radio Liberty.
The article called “Estonian Intelligence: In 2020, Russia Will Keep Its Eyes on the Elections in the U.S. and Georgia” reviews threats stemming from Russia to Georgia, discussed in an annual report by the Estonian Foreign Intelligence Service. It was published on February 17, 2020 and does not mention LGBT community at all.
2. The photo for the faked screenshot was taken from the article, published by the Radio Liberty on May 15 that told the stories of LGBT and queer people who emigrated from Georgia
This article by the Radio Liberty does not mention either the Estonian intelligence or the Russian threat. It tells the life stories of LGBT and queer people.
3. On the screenshot, published by Geo Pepe, the Facebook page of the “Radio Liberty” does not have a blue tick denoting an authorization from Facebook, unlike the real Facebook page.
About Geo Pepe
Geo Pepe is an ultra-nationalist Facebook page. Myth Detector has already published articles on the disinformation disseminated and shared by this page.
- Manipulation, as if children at a Danish school are forced to perform Islamic Prayer.
- Who Spread Appathurai’s Interview with Misleading Headline?
- Photo Manipulation: Protest by Bangladeshi Citizens Instead of Support by German Citizens.
- Disinformation about the alleged 92% of rapes committed by migrants in Sweden.